Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Happy Fat Tuesday, Y'all

When I was in college, my Catholic roommates always gave up something for Lent. Terri gave up smoking and then suffered through nicotine withdrawal until the moment she could light up immediately following communion on Holy Thursday. Pam gave up sweets, but never survived much longer than a week before she caved in to chocolate. I came from a frugal Protestant family who believed in saving rather than giving up anything, so the concept of sacrifice was lost on me. My church spent the time between Ash Wednesday and Easter holding Lenten Lunches, Soup Suppers, and a Maundy Thursday Pot Luck, followed by worship.

In recent times I notice there has been a movement among all Christians to focus on giving or sharing or helping someone out during Lent, rather than sacrificing something we enjoy. I like that notion very much.

Tonight Tom and I are going to a Mardi Gras party on Jekyll Island hosted by our friends, Jerry and Carolyn. Jerry and Carolyn are true born Southerners, while most of the rest of us are Northerners, Yankees soaking up some sun before we return to colder climates. There will be food and drink and conversation and lots and lots of beads. “No one is leaving here without taking their share of beads,” Carolyn says. “I’ve got way too many of them.”

So we will wear our beads and eat King Cake with the little plastic baby inside. We will drink and laugh. We will enjoy what Carolyn calls our “gracious plenty,” because by Easter most of us will be gone from this little island. Our time is short and we want to share it in good company.

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

No comments:

Post a Comment