Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The National Book Festival


So there I was, standing with my friend Barbara amidst the crush of people on the National Mall. All of us straining to squeeze out of the rain and into the tents so we could hear authors speak of their craft, read from their work, and inspire with their words. Despite the rain, a light, straight-down kind of rain, and the long lines for food, toilets, and book sales, the National Book Festival of 2009 was a grand event.

The authors, too many to possibly see, represented every genre. We overheard snippets from Judy Blume, Lois Lowry, Walter Mosley, and Nicholas Sparks as we wove among the book-reading masses. We were charmed by Jeannette Walls’ claim that she wrote her book imagining how a rich kid would someday read it and understand her life. We were inspired by Julia Alvarez’s fight to keep a Virginia school from banning her book and moved by Azar Nafisi's passion for becoming an American citizen. But being writers, and therefore observers of life, we were often distracted by the antics of those around us.

Having dodged elbows and umbrellas to make it to the first row of SRO at the John Irving presentation, we found ourselves directly behind two women breastfeeding their tiny infants. Given that Irving was discussing fatherhood, perhaps it was appropriate, but the people coughing down our necks only made me think of one thing: swine flu. Why would any mother bring a new baby into such a crowd? She was desperate to hear good writing? Or she was desperate to get out of the house?

We found seats before Marilynne Robinson began to read, but it was hard to concentrate when the couple in front of us was entwined into a single, two headed creature. His head nestled against her neck, her mouth scoured his face, and they whispered incessantly. By the time Tim O’Brien began to read, I figured they would slink away. But no, suddenly they raised their heads, rapt, as O’Brien read his essay. The girl wept at every word, and the boyfriend offered comfort by kissing her shoulder.

I wondered about that weeping girl then, and I wonder about her now. Was she the child of an aging father, which was the subject of the essay? Had her father died? I guess I’ll never know. But I do know what I witnessed. The absolute power of writers to sweep us worshipful readers away. And I say Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Amen!
    Thanks for sharing that, Sara. Almost made me hear the voices, smell the crowds, feel the busyness. Wish I'd been able to join you.

    ReplyDelete